The Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, is gearing up to show some rare Hitchcock treats on the big screen. Nine silent pictures from the director’s repertoire will be showcased in October, and I gleefully report will allow me to view several of the master’s flicks I have yet to lay my hands on.
The British Film Institute’s restoration of The Hitchcock 9 is the largest restoration project the BFI has ever undertaken and was made possible by new digital technology, according to the Wex. The films are being made available to venues around the world and have been touring the U.S. since June. They are/were slated to hit Washington, DC, Berkeley, Chicago, Seattle, Houston, and Boston, among others.
As much as Hitchcock is known for his work in the thriller genre, he spent a good amount of his early British career dabbling in dramas and romantic comedies. One nevertheless can see the early genius of the master of suspense in The Lodger and others.
For those in the vicinity or who would travel to see such rare screenings, the schedule follows. And another gem for you from BFI, the press book for 1928′s The Farmer’s Wife and ones for The Manxman and Champagne. I fully intend to witness Blackmail, Downhill, Champagne and The Pleasure Garden because I have not seen them before.
- Oct. 10 at 4 p.m. | Film Studies Lecture Tania Modleski: Representations of Women in Hitchcock’s Blackmail
- Oct . 10 at 7 p.m. & Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. | Blackmail (1929) Live musical accompaniment by Derek DiCenzo
- Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. & Oct. 12 at 4 p.m. | The Lodger (1926)
- Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. | Downhill (1927)
- Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. | The Ring (1927) Accompaniment by Larry Marotta
- Oct. 17 at 9:10 p.m. | The Manxman (1929) Accompaniment by Larry Marotta
- Oct. 23 at 7 p.m. | The Farmer’s Wife (1928) Accompaniment by Sue Harshe
- Oct. 23 at 9:10 p.m. | Champagne (1928) Accompaniment by Sue Harshe
- Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. | The Pleasure Garden (1926) Accompaniment by Derek DiCenzo
- Oct. 25 at 8:45 p.m. | Easy Virtue (1927) Accompaniment by Derek DiCenzo